I know Michael Phelps has everyone on ESPN happily arguing about whether or not he might be the Best Athlete Ever, raising his name with those of Michael Spitz, Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Roger Federer... (Seriously, how long can they milk that cow?) And I, too, have relished watching Jamaica's superhuman Usain Bolt's casual crushing of world records that most track aficionados believed would last indefinitely in the 100 & 200m races. I submit that the team of Walsh/May-Treanor can give these high profile athletes a run for their money in this discussion of the Greatest Evers.
My gals can boast the following:
- The first ever consecutive Olympic golds in beach volleyball.
- An Olympic win streak of 14 straight matches without dropping a single set.
- A current international and domestic win streak of 108 matches.
- May-Treanor holds the record for career titles on the beach (103), while Walsh claims second in that race (hitting 100 yesterday).
- Together they've won 19 of the last 19 tournaments they've entered.
- Overall record? 714-50.
I try not to roll my eyes when this dynamic duo finds its members reduced to Top 20 Hottest Female Athlete lists. It doesn't seem to bother them; they just laugh it off... and go crush the next opponent.
And I try to be supportive of their decision, announced last night before taking the medal stand, to take time off to go have babies, or, as May-Treanor put it, "To start the next generation's team." Walsh stated that she plans to come back and hopes her partner will, too. For what it's worth, I second that wish! Best of luck, heroes! I hope you get everything you want. Fast. So you can come back to the beach.
I leave you with the "three B's" that fuel this Best Ever team:
Also- check out Misty May-Treanor's Olympic blog on her site.